A144: Sexuality Dialogues (carried)
Subject: Sexuality Dialogues
Moved by: Dr. Lela Zimmer, Diocese of Cariboo (Anglican Parishes of the Central Interior)
Seconded by Ms. Rene Jamieson, Diocese of Rupert’s Land
Be it resolved that this General Synod:
- express its appreciation for the initiative, commitment, and spirit of dialogue undertaken in national and international, inter-diocesan conversations regarding human sexuality and mission;
- mandate the Faith, Worship and Ministry Committee to continue to facilitate, support and report on national and international, inter-diocesan conversations regarding human sexuality and mission that began in the 2007-2010 triennium.
Source: Faith, Worship and Ministry
Submitted by: Janet Marshall, Chair of Faith, Worship and Ministry
Does this motion contain within it any financial implications? Yes x No __
If yes, has the General Synod Expenditures Committee considered the implications? Yes __ No __
EXPLANATORY NOTE/BACKGROUND INFORMATION
The work done during this triennium by Faith, Worship and Ministry (FWM) in connecting African dioceses with dioceses in Canada has been of great help as a model and support to the Anglican Communion Continuing Indaba Process (formerly known as the Lambeth Listening Process). Personnel at the Communion office in London have asked that we not discontinue this process at the end of this triennium, but rather that FWM continue this work as ongoing. This process can potentially promote the development of dialogue and understanding between member provinces of the Anglican Communion.
To date, international conversations are taking place between the following Dioceses:
- New Westminster with Southern Malawi
- Niagara with Central Tanganyika
- Ontario with Botswana
- Ottawa with Mombassa
- Toronto with Tanga and Cape Town
Nationally, the Dioceses of Edmonton and Qu’Appelle are in conversation with the Diocese of Toronto.